Most expensive Football transfers - Top Ten
The summer hunting season is over and one conclussion can be made: despite the global crisis, there has been a huge inflation in the transfers. Most likelly due to the fact that there are new big spenders such as Monaco, PSG or Manchester City. Not to forget about Chelsea. These four clubs have received enormous amounts of money from oil tycoons. The rest of the clubs have cashed in on some huge sales and have also taken advantage on the rise in income, specially from TV and marketing. A proof of this statement is the fact that 5 of the highest 13 transfers have been made in 2013.
Here's the list:
- Gareth Bale: although Real Madrid has reported an amount of 91M€, Tottenham Hotspurs have announced the fee to be 100M€. This would make the 24 year old welshman the most expensive player in football history.
- Cristiano Ronaldo: the portuguese superstar, who won the Ballon d'Ord in 2008, was transfered from Manchester United FC to Real Madrid in 2009 for the highest transfer amount at the time of 94M€. After four seasons with Real Madrid, his individual numbers in terms of goals scored have been proven the investment to be worth it. In terms of marketing, the portuguese international has also reported some big revenues.
- Zinedine Zidane: the french artist made a huge move into Real Madrid from Juventus for 75M€ in 2001 to complete the Galácticos along with other all star signings such as David Robert Joseph Beckham, Ronaldo or Luis Figo.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic: the swedish is the most expensive transfer not made by Real Madrid. FC Barcelona paid Inter Milan 69M€ in 2009. Despite his huge talent, he couldn't adapt to the catalan playing style and was transferred a year later to AC Milan for only 24M€.
- Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite (Kaká): the brazilian superstar went to Real Madrid in 2009 from AC Milan for 68M€. He had also won the Ballon d'Or, in 2007. However, this investment has been a huge failure due to the player's ppor performance. He has played 85 matches in 4 years, scoring 23 goals.
- Edinson Cavani: the Uruguayan striker has moved to PSG from SSC Napoli for 64M€ in 2013. This amount has allowed the italian club to make several new signings such as Gonzalo Higuaín, José María Callejón or Raúl Albiol.
- Luis Figo: another of the galácticos, the 62M€ transfer from FC Barcelona to Real Madrid in 2000 was the highest transfer at the time, and was the result of the election victory of current president Florentino Pérez.
- Radamel Falcao: the colombian tiger has been the main star signing for AS Monaco FC in 2013. The cost has been 60M€ to Atlético de Madrid who had bought him two years earlier to Porto for 40M€. AS Monaco FC has just been promoted to Ligue 1 and has made some huge signings due to the arrival of fresh money. Such signings include: Joao Moutinho, Éric Abidal, or James Rodríguez.
- Fernando Torres: in 2011, Chelsea FC payed Liverpool FC 58M€. This transfer has not been as profitable as the blues would have wanted to, and "El Niño" has been known for his missed shots. He had a goal/game ratio of 64% in Anfield, droping to a poor 18% for Chelsea FC. However, Fernando Torres has won the Euro (Twice), the world cup, the Europa League and the Champions league.
- Neymar Jr: in 2013, another big signing has been the brazilian young talent has gone to FC Barcelona from Santos. It is unclear what has been the total cost of the operatin. FC Barcelona has reported 57M€, but Santos has stated they received only 17M€ (along with other companies holding rights). In addition FC Barcelona had paid 10M€ the previous year to ensure the operation to an unknown recipient, and has also paid 8M€ for the preferential rights on two young players. Details of the operation can be read here (spanish).
What do you think about these transfers?